Tuesday 9 December 2008

Not if you're ordinary please

I am about to move into a role where I will hire consultants. Part of my job will be to build a team of reliability consultants for asset intensive industries throughout the Asia Pacific.

I can't really tell you who I will be looking for, or what skills yet. But I can tell you what I won't be looking for.

I won't be looking for anybody who is ordinary. The problem with ordinary is that it is abundant. if you are going to be ordinary, then you had better be cheap. Because I can get ordinary anywhere.

I will be looking for those consultants who are above ordinary. The people who have been through the big jobs and survived. People with an enviable track record. Hopefully, people with a few holes in their CV where they took time to be a bit wierd.

Why? Because I like extra-ordinary people. My clients like extra-ordinary people. Clients will not pay for ordinary, and neither should they. Ordinary is everywhere.


If you enjoyed this post you can receive it in your email here. We don't like spam either and we won't send you any!

No comments:

Post a Comment